THREE-week-old girl died of salmonella transmitted by a pet turtle, while 22 other people have been infected by the reptiles across the United States since September, health authorities said.
The infant girl was taken to a Florida hospital, where she was in febrile and in septic shock, on February 20.
She was given antibiotics but died on March 1, the CDC said in its 'Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.'Cultures of cerebrospinal fluid and blood samples taken from the infant found a type of salmonella identitical to the one carried by the turtle, it said.
The turtle, which had a 3.2-centimetre shell, had been given to the family in January by a friend who bought it at a flea market.